Skip to main content

Chinese New Year, Part 2

Our "official" Chinese New Year was spent as a regular weekday Monday, with Noah & Calvin going to school, Michael doing his regular homeschool, and Selah going to her speech articulation class.  Selah wore her Chinese dress to speech class and received many compliments.  After Selah's  speech, we headed over to COCC (community college campus nearby).  The Multicultural Center had a Chinese New Year celebration hour that we had planned to attend, but when I got to the campus, I quickly realized that there was no way that we were going to get a parking spot.  I had forgotten about the fact that not only are parking permits required for parking in most of the limited lots there, but also, most students take a bus from a remote parking location or park all the way down the hill, sometimes in the bike lane.  Needless to say, we had to turn around and head back home.  Thankfully, the girls were just as happy making chinese lanterns at home.  For dinner, we all pitched in to make some Chinese and Japanese cuisine (curry, rice, seaweed, panko shrimp, and egg flower soup).


Our beautiful girls(these dresses were purchased in Guangzhou, during our adoption trip to get Selah... they wore these dresses during the "red couch" photos)


Anna & Selah creating their own lanterns.  They both LOVE crafts!


Anna helping me beat an egg for the egg flower soup.  She is constantly asking to help with jobs that are sometimes too big for her :)


Dinner is served... a very typical scene at our house... lots of chaos and craziness... a surprised hubby(or maybe confused hubby as to why I need to take a photo of such craziness), forced smiles from my boys, and craziness from the preschoolers.

egg flower soup... it was a HIT

Curry (Japanese style)... this is what I LOVED growing up eating.... it's the mac n cheese of Japan. (Yes, I know it wasn't Japanese New Year, but I, being Japan, HAVE to incorporate both to the celebration)

All the beautiful lanterns created by the members of our family!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am OVER DUE :(

Happy 9 months since LID! I was in a very goofy mood and BEGGED my DH to take this picture of me.... Had I been expecting a tummy baby, I'd be officially OVER DUE. I think I have WAY too much time on my hands :) Gotta go tuck my kids in bed now.

Much has happened...

It's been exactly one week since we were given our bad news about not being able to adopt the girls from Indonesia. God has really comforted us alot during the past week... I still have a hard time not crying when someone asks me when we can go get the girls.... In my excitement, I showed so many people at church and friends the pictures of the girls because in my heart, I really felt these girls were ours. But, God is not done writing our story ~ I know that this will have a Godly outcome and we will move forward. We have had lots of support and encouragement ~ most people we know well have expressed their sadness over this. I returned the bedding I bought for the girls at the store and when I did, I was sorta in a sad mood.... the person handling the returns said "Are these not going to work out?" to which, I replied "No, it's not" and then she felt like she had to push the issue with me and said "Is there anything wrong with it?" By then, I...

Another GREAT verse about God watching over our little ones....

Isaiah 49: 15-18 (Message) Can a mother forget the infant at her breast, walk away from the baby she bore? But even if mothers forget, I'd never forget you—never . Look, I've written your names on the backs of my hands. I have been thinking alot about the birthmothers of our children... This verse is not meant as a slam on the birthmothers of our children... it is meant for glorifying God in how much He knows every child by name and NEVER forgets them. My little brain cannot even comprehend how MUCH He loves each of us and how much He loves each of our children.... not only that, He loves each one of these precious birthmothers who will undoubtedly do the most difficult thing in their life sometime very soon. Lord, I pray for the birthmother of my child(ren) right now. Lord, you KNOW them. Touch them. How difficult their circumstances must be to try to "forget" the child they bore. I know that as a mother, I could never forget the children I bore and I k...