Skip to main content

Thoughts and life that has been brewing in me :)

Next week, we'll celebrate having had Selah for 3 months.... Mentally, I prepared myself that in 3 months, Selah will have learned that we are not just another transitional family.....Let me explain...

Selah was left at the front gate of Maoming SWI in Maoming, Guangdong on October 18, 2008. I can't even imagine the sadness in her heart as she was left out there alone.... only God knows how long she was there before someone found her.... the thought of that breaks my heart, but I have to trust that God was comforting her through this because the moment we decided to pursue adopting from China, I began to pray that God would comfort Selah in the day she is abandoned... I can only imagine that her parents must have loved her.... it stated in her referral paperwork that she "worn a pretty flowery dress" on the day they found her...Ok, my heart hurts now just writing that....back to my explanation.... Selah was born with cleft lip and palate, and, the SWI she resided in knew that she would need surgery, so they found a new home for her and on May 4, 2009, she moved from Maoming SWI in Maoming to a city named Dongguan (about 7-8 hours away). She was a little over 7 months old.... (Anna's age when we adopted her). True Children's Home became her place of residence for the next 10 months of her life. The caretaker to child ratio is/was excellent at this wonderful facility. She was put on the list to get surgeries for both her lip and palate. She had wonderful caretakers there and began to blossom. I often wonder if there was any particular caretaker she loved more than others? I wonder if she thought this was a permanent home for her? On December 19, 2009, she had surgery for her lip. She was not released from the hospital until early January 2010, which meant that she spent her 2nd Christmas in a hospital.....She had a wonderful caretaker that took care of her while she recovered from her lip surgery. On March 24, 2010, she was sent to live with a foster family through True Children's Home. The foster family consisted of a mom, dad, and two grown children. On April 24, 2010 (the 23rd in the US...the DAY we received her referral!) she had surgery to correct her palate. Her foster mother took great care of her during that recovery.

In total, she has had 4 transitions.... first when she was abandoned at the front gate of Maoming SWI, second, when she was taken from Maoming SWI to True Children's Home, third when she was moved from True Children's Home to a TCH foster family, and lastly, when she was brought to us on June 21, 2010 to become part of our family.

Selah is overall a happy little girl and most people that see our family and see her interact with Anna and her brothers will say she is adjusting remarkably well, and I would have to say they are partly right.... but there is the part of her that they don't see and only the ones that are faced with her daily will know.... it's that deep mistrust in her eyes that I see sometimes.... it's that look in her eyes that says to me..."Will you love me even if I'm not perfect?"

When we got back home from China, there was one particular night where Aaron & I were so exhausted from the trip, parenting, feeding, cleaning, that we collapsed on our bed and said to each other...." Did we make a big mistake?" In our hearts, ofcourse, we knew that this was a God thing, but we were coming from a place of complete honesty and the reality that we truly DON'T have what it takes to parent not only Selah, but even Noah, Calvin, Michael & Anna....I even said to Aaron through tears that I wonder if Selah would have been better off in a family that could really focus on "just her" and not a family that already has 4 children!... In that moment of crying out and being broken, God did the most amazing thing (as He often does when we completely surrender and honestly say we can't do it on our own) He gave me this PEACE that surpasses all understanding.... our understanding at that moment was that we were underqualified, overspent, incapable and unable to love EACH and every one of our children the way we want to.... it really was a sad place for me, as I realized that I could never give each of my children what they would need from me because I am ONE person and sometimes a very broken ONE person at that. In that moment that Aaron & I were able to let go of all our expectations and our striving to be "good" parents, God gave us incredible peace and a knowing that He will carry us through and will guide us to becoming much MORE of parents than even our minds could think up what "good" parents are.

Selah is trusting us more and more everyday. I have to be honest.... as wonderful as she has adjusted to us, we were very much spoiled by Anna and her easy transition to us 2 years ago... Life is so much more challenging now and I find there are many things that take the backburner, like blogging, for instance :). I've had to put all my "ideals" out the window and begin to treasure the gifts God has given us. So, back to my hope that Selah will not begin to see us as a transitional family.... As I write this, we've had Selah in our life as long as her foster family did prior to our adoption. Although I wish I could say she is 100% adjusted to us, I know that she isn't.... I know that trusting takes time and it requires that we extend her alot of grace... God is doing a new thing in us.... He is showing us how to love someone the way He loves us. It is easy to love someone that loves us back.... it is hard to naturally love someone when they don't trust us.....There is something wonderful that will come out of this if we allow God to do a work in our hearts.... God is using Selah to show us how to love each of our family members.... unconditionally.... and perhaps one day when we've allowed Him to accomplish that in our family, we'll find that we love the rest of His children the same way. What a journey He has us on.

Comments

The Aldridges' said…
Pamela,
Thank you for the heart felt and honest post. We are living the same way and honestly feel like it is such baby steps to getting to where we want to be. However, I agree that only God can make it right and He must have that in His plan b /c He lead us down this path. Hang in there!
Love in Christ,
Tammy in MS (mom to Sophie another Maoming girl)
ourchinagiftfromgod.blogspot.com
Pam-

You have written much of what my heart is feeling. I have to admit having the adoption blues. Several times this week, Mark and I have uttered the same words as our heads hit the pillow. I think God is just drawing us deeper still. We are trusting Him one day at a time. Praying for you my sweet friend. THANK YOU for sharing your heart. It is a gift.
Karmen and Greg said…
Such an honest and heartfelt post. Just remember that God makes no mistakes and he laid that "heart" baby in your life for a reason ... He will give you the strength you need. You are such an amazing family and I will be in prayer for Selah's trust to come. They say the first year or so is hard ... But oh the joy you all will find!
Kelly said…
Pam,
So great to "hear" from you and see you back at the blog! You have been in my thoughts and I thank you for sharing your honesty. I have to admit that daily I pray to be a "good" mother to my children, but you have convicted me that I just might be limiting God in praying such a way. I want to be the mother that He has created me to be!
Steve n Coco said…
Oh my goodness I can relate to EVERY SINGLE WORD you wrote, including your mini-breakdowns and doubts about having done the right thing. God bless you for your honesty. I pray that others are blessed through your words. It makes me want to meet with you (and all 5 of your precious kids) in person that much more!!!
I'm so glad to know that we are on this road together and I want you to know that I will be lifting you up in prayer as often as I can.
Be blessed,
Courtney
Kelly and Matt said…
Pam, (and Rebebcca)

Your honesty is amazing, I think that sometimes it is easy for us to imagine that once you and your new baby are home the perfect family life has begun. We have these pretty little images of all the good times, easy laughter and love. It's a little harder to imagine the meltdowns, distrust, attachment issues, and daily struggles that can happen. Or how every day issues can turn into such struggles that emotionally and physically wear you down.
Despite the challenges I'm sure each little step, smile and kiss draw you closer to the picture you had in your head.

My prayers for each of you is that God provides you all the strength, courage, perserverance, peace and love that you need to get you through the tough times; and enough smiles and laughter to keep you encouraged.

Popular posts from this blog

Portland Marathon 2013 (My First ever Marathon Recap)

I wanted to capture my moment by moment FIRST marathon experience so here goes: I'll start with the night before: We went over to Aaron's parents house to have some dinner with them as well as Micah & Danielle (Aaron's brother and wife) and their kids, Gabriel and Grace, and Mathew and Taylor (cousins of our kids).   We got back to our hotel (Hilton downtown) around 7:15pm and I organized my outfit for the big day while Aaron took the kids swimming at the pool.  I agonized back and forth about whether to carry my Nathan hydration vest or not for a week and Aaron finally helped me make the decision that although the aid stations were going to be plenty, I should go ahead and carry my own water.... because he knows that  1) I don't like stopping to get water even if it's a moment because I feel like I lose momentum 2) I am really BAD at drinking from the cups and have gotten multiple water sloshes up my nose (which hurts!) and water on my shoes (which, is BA...

I am OVER DUE :(

Happy 9 months since LID! I was in a very goofy mood and BEGGED my DH to take this picture of me.... Had I been expecting a tummy baby, I'd be officially OVER DUE. I think I have WAY too much time on my hands :) Gotta go tuck my kids in bed now.

Much has happened...

It's been exactly one week since we were given our bad news about not being able to adopt the girls from Indonesia. God has really comforted us alot during the past week... I still have a hard time not crying when someone asks me when we can go get the girls.... In my excitement, I showed so many people at church and friends the pictures of the girls because in my heart, I really felt these girls were ours. But, God is not done writing our story ~ I know that this will have a Godly outcome and we will move forward. We have had lots of support and encouragement ~ most people we know well have expressed their sadness over this. I returned the bedding I bought for the girls at the store and when I did, I was sorta in a sad mood.... the person handling the returns said "Are these not going to work out?" to which, I replied "No, it's not" and then she felt like she had to push the issue with me and said "Is there anything wrong with it?" By then, I...