Lastnight, Michael, my 5 year old and currently the "baby" of the family, asked me to read this book.
This is one of those books that make you cry everytime you read it but I was feeling emotionally strong enough to read it out loud to my boys as they went to bed.
The book begins like this...
"Long ago you came to me, a miracle of firsts; First smiles and teeth and baby steps, a sunbeam on the burst." (I was strong up until this next sentence which reads..)
"But one day you will move away and leave me to your past, and I will be left thinking of a lifetime of your lasts..."
The tears began to flow and I couldn't read it without quivering lips and lots of tears. I actually had to take THREE "deep breath breaks" throughout the book and by the end of the book, Calvin was crying and Michael was crying... I mean BIG TEARS and they both rushed to me with hugs saying "I NEVER want to leave you!".... It was so sad and so precious all at the same time. I am crying now just thinking about it.
I sometimes go to bed with regrets about what I did during the day... the "not-so-kind" way I responded to my children, for not hugging them longer, for not reading one more story, etc...
I really needed lastnight to realize how very precious our boys are to me... I am so thankful that I still have many more "lasts" before they leave our nest.
If you don't have this book, you HAVE to get it... it is a wake up call to enjoy your children now. I cry everytime I read it and I imagine I'll cry more tears in the next 10-20 years as I get the opportunity to read this to them..
Oh, by the way, Noah was the only one that didn't shed a tear... he was mostly speechless and kinda smiling that we were all crying so he ended up looking for his dad to help him comfort his mom & little brothers :)
Comments