Skip to main content

Bully

The moment Noah was placed in my arms on August 6, 1998, I had this strong instinct to protect him. It is also part of my makeup that I tend to stick up passionately for the underdogs and the needy and helpless.... I always knew I would be the kind of mother that would stick up for my children if they were getting bullied.. even if "sticking up" to them could mean I could get in trouble :)

Today, I experienced what it is like to feel anger toward another child that is bullying my Noah.

He is in the same class as Noah and for 1/2 of this school year, he has been bullying Noah in very slight ways and in a sneaky manner that adults do not notice...
He does things like pinch Noah's shoulders so hard that he almost falls down, kicking Noah in the shin in the hallway atleast once a day, and today, the worst... He grabbed Noah in the head and scratched him hard with his fingernails that it made a scratch on the side of his ears...

Those of you who know Noah knows that he is the most gentle, peace-loving boy. I don't say this just because I am his mother... he truly is and anyone that knows him will say the same. He has not hurt a single soul in his life and as his teacher put it, "very gentle and kind"... so why does he get picked on? I have no idea... other than maybe it is purely because he takes it.

3 months ago, when I found out that this boy has been harassing Noah for 3 months prior to that by just picking on him constantly, I told Noah that he needs to tell him to stop and if he doesn't, he needs to get his teacher involved and if that doesn't stop, we'll have a chat with the principal...

Well, 3 months went by and I had not heard anything from Noah, so I assumed all was well... Today, after he told me about the head grabbing incident, I asked him if his harrassment ever stopped... he started crying and said that it never did... that he had been just deciding to "take it" because he didn't want to come across as being weak. This just broke my heart because he didn't tell me for 3 months! I felt so bad because I could have asked him in the past 3 months how things were going with this boy, but since he didn't bring it up, I didn't ask.

I called Aaron as soon as I found out about it because I knew that I couldn't talk to the teacher because I was too emotional and wanted to kill someone. I told him it would be better if he talked to the teacher first because he would be able to talk with him in a calm manner. A few minutes later, Aaron called back and said that the teacher wanted to talk with me since I knew more of the details... we talked for about 15 minutes and it went really well. He is going to talk with both Noah and the bully and make sure that he apologizes and is going to try to get them to talk it over.

I am praying that God brings the truth forth and that they will be able to work things out. If I ever catch him in the hallway doing anything to Noah, I can't promise I will be as nice as Noah has been to him. Lord have mercy.

Comments

Steve n Coco said…
Poor little guy! I know just what you mean, though, when you want to rip the other kid's head off. Come on, why does it have to be this way?? Noah sounds like a sweet kid.
Angie said…
Oh Pam! I am so sorry to hear about this happening to Noah. It is so frustrating when kids pick on sweet kids. My Anderson was threatened and bullied this year too and it was all that I could do to just sit back and let the school system handle it. There was so much more that I wanted to do!! ;)
I hope the bullying is over for sweet Noah and you.
Donna said…
Pam, I know I'd be the same way...also having a hard time keeping my "momma bear" quiet and calm enough to deal with the situation. I hate that Noah is going through this and pray that the teacher is able to help resolve it. I would personally want to talk to the boy's parents too, but not sure the best way to do that. Let us know how it works out.

Popular posts from this blog

I am OVER DUE :(

Happy 9 months since LID! I was in a very goofy mood and BEGGED my DH to take this picture of me.... Had I been expecting a tummy baby, I'd be officially OVER DUE. I think I have WAY too much time on my hands :) Gotta go tuck my kids in bed now.

Much has happened...

It's been exactly one week since we were given our bad news about not being able to adopt the girls from Indonesia. God has really comforted us alot during the past week... I still have a hard time not crying when someone asks me when we can go get the girls.... In my excitement, I showed so many people at church and friends the pictures of the girls because in my heart, I really felt these girls were ours. But, God is not done writing our story ~ I know that this will have a Godly outcome and we will move forward. We have had lots of support and encouragement ~ most people we know well have expressed their sadness over this. I returned the bedding I bought for the girls at the store and when I did, I was sorta in a sad mood.... the person handling the returns said "Are these not going to work out?" to which, I replied "No, it's not" and then she felt like she had to push the issue with me and said "Is there anything wrong with it?" By then, I...

Another GREAT verse about God watching over our little ones....

Isaiah 49: 15-18 (Message) Can a mother forget the infant at her breast, walk away from the baby she bore? But even if mothers forget, I'd never forget you—never . Look, I've written your names on the backs of my hands. I have been thinking alot about the birthmothers of our children... This verse is not meant as a slam on the birthmothers of our children... it is meant for glorifying God in how much He knows every child by name and NEVER forgets them. My little brain cannot even comprehend how MUCH He loves each of us and how much He loves each of our children.... not only that, He loves each one of these precious birthmothers who will undoubtedly do the most difficult thing in their life sometime very soon. Lord, I pray for the birthmother of my child(ren) right now. Lord, you KNOW them. Touch them. How difficult their circumstances must be to try to "forget" the child they bore. I know that as a mother, I could never forget the children I bore and I k...