Skip to main content

Camping Trip






We had a great camping trip (Ok, maybe GREAT for the kids, BEARABLE for the adults).

It was a long 4 1/2 hour drive from Bend to Cape Lookout State Park. We met Anna & David + boys, and Israel & Allison + kids at Tillamook Cheese Factory for lunch. The lunch was fine but the icecream was the best.

After that, we drove to Cape Lookout State Park and started setting up.

It was about 70 degrees and a bit cloudy, but definitely nice for camping weather. We all had sites very close to each other and shared meals and talked alot...

We did the usual roasting marshmallows and lots of playing around the campground... we managed to not lose a single child and this year, I didn't get sick! Anna, Allison & I went running on the beach on friday and what was supposed to be a 30 minute easy run for me ended up being a very painful 1 hour run (Thanks, Anna :)). It was easy for the first 30 minutes but when we turned around to head back, the wind was against us and I nearly passed out... ofcourse, I wasn't about to walk, so I kept running... or maybe a very slow jog. Thankfully, I only suffered a minor knee pain and am back to normal.

Some of the interesting topics of conversation included... Andria & Michael's new beach house, our upcoming adoption and the timeframe, talks about our babies and what they are doing now, how much we LOVE camping, our workout schedules and what we're doing, God talk (what God is doing in the church, evangelism,etc.) I had a talk with David about some of the things he's written in his evangelism blog. I had some great conversations with Aaron's parents also over the weekend... things I've been struggling with lately like why we take it so personally when someone doesn't listen to us or ignores us when we share them about Christ... I tend to be a little bit on the "quiet" side around new people, and I have always been a bit scared off by "evangelism"....but listening to David and talking with Aaron's dad really helped me to re-focus WHY I want to share Christ and why it has to be about HIM and not about how bad I look if they don't agree with me :) I still think God has gifted us with a certain "bend" toward various giftings, but I gained some valuable tools in helping me be a little more Christ-focused when I share Him and less ME focused and the results...As David said, we are just planting seeds and the outcome is up to God. The bottom line of the message was, we really need to just be who we are in Christ and when He gives us an opportunity to share Him to others, we should obey and leave the outcome up to Him.

The lastnight of camping, our tent kept collapsing in the night due to wind... it was also raining... (I LOVE camping!)... Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep and the next day, we woke up to more drizzling, non-stop RAIN... we had to pack up everything in the rain and we were SOAKED! We headed to Portland for the rest of the weekend and were so glad when we arrived home and it was SUNNY!

Comments

Middle-Aged Moi said…
You conversations sound really great! The pictures looks fun. Now, if camping only didn't have dirt, bugs, hard ground, cold, etc. LOL!
Steve n Coco said…
HA! That sounds about right with the weather- have to admit I'm glad I wasn't in a tent :) I really wish we could have met up... next time. I didn't know it was such a long drive for you! Almost as long as our drive!

Sounds like you had great talk time. How neat that you have such strong parents-in-law to encourage you.
Courtney
Unknown said…
It sounds like quite an experience!
Melinda said…
Sounds like you had some great adult conversations. I am sure the kids had a blast camping! I am not a camper at all but I am sure my kids would love it. Maybe we will have to plan a trip sometime.

Popular posts from this blog

Portland Marathon 2013 (My First ever Marathon Recap)

I wanted to capture my moment by moment FIRST marathon experience so here goes: I'll start with the night before: We went over to Aaron's parents house to have some dinner with them as well as Micah & Danielle (Aaron's brother and wife) and their kids, Gabriel and Grace, and Mathew and Taylor (cousins of our kids).   We got back to our hotel (Hilton downtown) around 7:15pm and I organized my outfit for the big day while Aaron took the kids swimming at the pool.  I agonized back and forth about whether to carry my Nathan hydration vest or not for a week and Aaron finally helped me make the decision that although the aid stations were going to be plenty, I should go ahead and carry my own water.... because he knows that  1) I don't like stopping to get water even if it's a moment because I feel like I lose momentum 2) I am really BAD at drinking from the cups and have gotten multiple water sloshes up my nose (which hurts!) and water on my shoes (which, is BA...

I am OVER DUE :(

Happy 9 months since LID! I was in a very goofy mood and BEGGED my DH to take this picture of me.... Had I been expecting a tummy baby, I'd be officially OVER DUE. I think I have WAY too much time on my hands :) Gotta go tuck my kids in bed now.

Much has happened...

It's been exactly one week since we were given our bad news about not being able to adopt the girls from Indonesia. God has really comforted us alot during the past week... I still have a hard time not crying when someone asks me when we can go get the girls.... In my excitement, I showed so many people at church and friends the pictures of the girls because in my heart, I really felt these girls were ours. But, God is not done writing our story ~ I know that this will have a Godly outcome and we will move forward. We have had lots of support and encouragement ~ most people we know well have expressed their sadness over this. I returned the bedding I bought for the girls at the store and when I did, I was sorta in a sad mood.... the person handling the returns said "Are these not going to work out?" to which, I replied "No, it's not" and then she felt like she had to push the issue with me and said "Is there anything wrong with it?" By then, I...