Ok, so yesterday was my 41st birthday.... it feels like JUST yesterday that I turned 40..... the morning started out great... Noah & Calvin both decided to go WITH me on my early morning run (which, I usually run somewhere between 3-5 miles depending on how quickly I need to be home before Aaron heads out to work)... Knowing that my sweet boys really have not run very much, and knowing our CRAZY HILLS, I decided to take a much "easier" route of downhill first and then uphill back...ofcourse, just like boys, they took off sprinting :) and after about 1/2 mile into our run, I told them to go back home so that they wouldn't be in pain later... and then I took off on the rest of my run. When I returned, Aaron had a card and coffee waiting for me (So sweet). It was a usual work day, so Aaron told us that he would "hopefully" be home in time to go out to Applebees (kids eat for 99 cents on tuesdays) to celebrate my birthday. At about 2pm, I got a lovely picture text from my sweetie saying he was JUST starting on his last surgery of the day and it will probably last 4 hours.... well, if you've been married to a doctor long enough, you know that 4 hours never really "means" 4 hours... most of the time it means LONGER, so I decided to give up on the birthday plans but when the boys got home, they were more excited about my birthday than I was and kept asking "When are we going to have the party?? I had not prepared dinner (due to our original plans to "maybe" go to Applebees", so when it seemed like Aaron would not show, I decided to go "get some party food" ... As I was getting the kids ready to go, Aaron called (yay!) and said he had had a flat tire on his bike (he commutes to work on his bicycle) and that he would like me to "pretty please come pick me up??". Ofcourse the boys were so excited because they thought our "dinner plans at Applebees" was back ON again... so we quickly got into Aaron's vehicle, and went to the hospital to pick him up... as we approached the hospital, I had the boys call Aaron and he told them to go get his bike at his office (across the street from hospital) and then come pick him up.... well, the problem is, I didn't have the bike rack on the truck, so Noah, Calvin & I had to figure out how to take apart his bike wheel to get it in the back of the vehicle (I kept thinking.... this is not exactly the birthday I was hoping for...) but kept quiet but our very kind, sensitive child Noah, who was sensing my "slight" irritation that I was now covered in bike wheel dirt, said "This is not turning out to be the best birthday for you, is it?" I felt horrible for thinking that and reassured him that all was well :).... we finally figured out how to take the wheel off , and headed to the hospital to pick up Aaron and we all decided to head to Applebees even though it was only ONE HOUR before everyone's bedtime. About a block from Applebee's, we heard the most horrible sound... like we had just gotten a flat tire..... and, wouldn't you know it? We did:( Thankfully, we were able to drive into Applebees and saw the lovely flat tire :) Our roadside assistance coverage is on our OTHER vehicle :), so we decided we would just have to eat first and then Aaron would change the tire while we waited for our dinner. AT applebee's, we ordered some dinner and Calvin, being the happy kid that he is, said to Aaron that he thinks we should ask the waitstaff to some sing "happy birthday"....I was horrified at the thought and begged Aaron "No, please DO NOT make them sing to me." But Aaron insisted and said "it would be fun".... so I decided to go along with it, mostly for the kids... we ate and we realized Aaron forgot to go change the tire over during our wait for dinner... so guess what he did? he left me and the kids alone and changed the tire while the waitstaff sang me a song :) We did get a free sundae out of the deal though :)
By the time we were done changing the tire, it was 10pm (2 hours past the kids' bedtime) and we were SO exhausted that we didn't get to open any presents. I was actually fine with that, but the kids were sad....so, it looks like we might get to celebrate either tonight, tomorrow, the weekend or maybe in China :)
We did laugh through dinner and on our drive home at how crazy it was that we got 2 flat tires in one night. It will definitely be a birthday I'll remember and I am sure the kids will too.
Enjoy the pictures! :)




Picture of me getting my card after my run
By the time we were done changing the tire, it was 10pm (2 hours past the kids' bedtime) and we were SO exhausted that we didn't get to open any presents. I was actually fine with that, but the kids were sad....so, it looks like we might get to celebrate either tonight, tomorrow, the weekend or maybe in China :)
We did laugh through dinner and on our drive home at how crazy it was that we got 2 flat tires in one night. It will definitely be a birthday I'll remember and I am sure the kids will too.
Enjoy the pictures! :)
Picture of me getting my card after my run
Comments